You Should Consider Bookmarking this Post.
If you are just getting started blogging, or you’d like to freshen up your knowledge (never too experienced for that), this is the post for you.
Because I care about you so much, I’m putting together a massive list of blogging information that you can spend a few hours reading.
This is not to send you into information overload. Instead, I’m trying to point you to the best information out there to keep you from wasting your time.
Blogging is a very unique business. That’s right. I said business. This post will not be for those who blog as a hobby. However, if you do blog as a hobby, you may consider turning your blog into an income producing business.
In this post, I’m going to point you in the direction of some great content. Seriously… it’s epic.
Don’t get caught up in the hype that is making money online. You’re not ready to digest that stuff until you understand certain things. From here, you can start to learn the real ins and outs so as to make your journey to blogging for money a successful one.
Selecting A Topic (Niche)
There’s nothing worse than blogging for no reason. Be sure you know what purpose your blog serves. In other words, who are you talking to and what are you doing for them? Make sure your blog has a focus and solves problems for some group of people. Selecting your niche is the most important preparation step if you intend to build a business with your blog.
- How to Choose a Niche Topic for Your Blog – problogger.net
- How to Blog: How to Choose a Blog Niche – problogger.net
- Should You Really Write About What You Love If… – dailyblogtips.com
- How to Choose a Popular Niche for Your Blog – copyblogger.net
- Why Some Blogs Just Can’t Make Money – davidrisley.com
Choosing Your Domain Name
Your domain name will most likely be the first thing your readers are exposed to. Is it catchy? Should it be? Is it keyword-rich? Is it YOUR domain name or are you using a blogging service? Learn the rules of picking domain names for your blog.
- How to Choose a Blog Name – dailyblogtips.com
- Choosing the Domain Name for Your Blog – problogger.net
- Better Blog Branding: What’s In a Name? – chrisg.com
- How to Choose a Domain Name – Brandable… – problogger.net
- 12 Rules for Choosing the Right Domain Name – seomoz.org
- Choosing a Name for your Blog – brandbucket.com
Register Your Domain Name and Get Hosting
1&1 – 1&1 offers domain registration, hosting, and much more. Currently, all of my websites have their domain names registered through 1&1 and are also hosted with 1&1. They are one of the most well-known companies in the industry and offer quality products and services.
Hostgator – Hostgator is one of my favorite hosting companies. You can have your website or blog hosted for $5/month or less. You can also have reseller accounts and start a small web hosting company. If you are starting a website, consider hosting with Hostgator.
Bluehost – Bluehost is another great web hosting company focusing on professional services and free resources. Bluehost supports 1-click installs for many of the web’s best website platforms including WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
What Is A Blog?
Now that you have a niche and you have registered a domain name, it’s time to build your blog. There’s no better feeling than a brand new blog with endless possibilities. First, though, you need to understand exactly what a blog is and what people use it for. Understand the role you have to play if you want to have readers for your blog. Ultimately, you need to learn what a blog is in order to be a true blogger.
- What is a Blog? – problogger.net
- What is a Blog? – dailyblogtips.com
- What is a Blog? – socialmediaworks.net (video)
- What is a Blog? – (just joking… the horse is dead)
Brand New to Blogging?
Blogging Is Not for Everyone
Blogging is not always as simple as writing content and publishing it to the web. Things can get tough sometimes if you have certain expectations for your blog and you fear that you will not attain those goals. Take a look at one of my more frustrating days.
Designing Your Blog
Everyone has an opinion on how blogs should be designed. Some like to keep it simple while others complicate things. Some of the ugliest blogs have been successful while the most beautiful blogs are completely ignored. Because you have the freedom to design your blog the way you’d like, I won’t link you to any guides on making your blog blend in with the rest of the blogosphere. However, I will provide links to tips on blog design that cover both aesthetics and functionality.
- Weblog Usability: The Top Ten Design Mistakes – useit.com
- 11 Factors to Consider When Designing Your Blog Theme – dailyblogtips.com
- Top 10 Things to Consider When Designing Your Blog – smartpassiveincome.com
- Principles of Effective Blog Design – problogger.net
- Thesis WordPress Theme: The Ultimate Guide – I wrote this too!
Choose the Right Platform and Theme
WordPress – WordPress is by far the most popular blogging platform used by a lot of the web’s most popular bloggers. The script is totally free and there are tons of “plugins” that add to the functionality of your blog. Download WordPress and start your own blog today.
Thesis WordPress Theme- Thesis is by far the best WordPress theme. Of course, that is my opinion. However, I’m sure you will feel the same after a little research and even trying it on your own. Thesis handles the structure of your blog straight out of the box. All you have to do is design it. Thesis even makes that a breeze. Make your blog a smart blog with Thesis. ( A Complete Guide to Understanding the Power of Thesis WordPress Theme )
Kolakube – It’s no secret that I am a huge fan of Thesis. I know that it can be a little intimidating for some, though. So, I am also a huge fan of Kolakube as they provide the best premium skins for Thesis on the market.
Writing Quality Content
Content is king! Some say that it’s not. Either way, your content matters. Read the top quality content below to learn more about content for your blog.
- How to Write Great Blog Content – problogger.net (great post full of resources)
- 40 Ways to Deliver Killer Blog Content – chrisbrogan.com
- Content Strategy: 7 Tips to Make Your Blog Stickier – mashable.com
- 10 Web Tools to Help Generate Blog Content Ideas – seomoz.org
- The Art of Recycling Blog Content – davidrisley.com
- 6 Ways to Constantly Produce Quality Blog Content – socialmediaexaminer.com
- Why You Should Use “You” and “I” in Your Posts – dailyblogtips.com (massive category)
- How to Craft Contagious Content – socialtriggers.com
- Copy Blogger – Period
Building Your Readers List
The most important part of your blog should be your ability to capture the attention of your visitors and hold them there. Random visitors that come, read your content, do not buy, and leave, serve no purpose to you or your blog. Your email list is how you will use your blog to leverage your abilities.
- How to Build a Profitable Email List – Frank Kern Style – entrepreneurs-journey.com
- How to Get Traffic for Your Blog – sethgodin.typepad.com
- 19 Strategies for Finding Readers – problogger.net
- How I Accumulated 10,000 Email Subscribers in 13.5 Months – smartpassiveincome.com
- How to Find Readers for Your Blog – problogger.net
- 10 Effective Ways to Get More Blog Subscribers – copyblogger.com
- Email Marketing Tips: Getting More Email Subscribers – chrisg.com
Don’t Wait to Start Building Your Email List!
Aweber – Aweber is a top quality email marketing service to help you manage your email subscriptions and interact with your subscribers. The initial setup is outstanding and email management is even better. $1 start up
Monetizing Your Blog
There are many different ways to make money with your blog. Really, whatever you can persuade people to pay for can bring you a substantial amount of income. It’s all about being creative, offering something that people need, and having the ability to provide. The possibilities are endless.
- Smart Passive Income – Period
- Top 10 Blog Monetization Strategies, Ranked In Order – davidrisley.com
- My Top 7 Blog Monetization Methods – entrepreneurs-journey.com
- How to Make Money from Your Blog – stevepavlina.com
- A Reality Check About Blogging for Money – problogger.net
- 13 Ways for Bloggers to Make Money with Advertising – problogger.net
- How to Make Money Blogging – markpknowles.com
Amazon Associates Program
Amazon – Amazon is a no-brainer. Most likely, there will be books that you’ll recommend to your readers or one of the other thousands of products that Amazon sells. Sign up for their associates program and place ads as you see fit.
Product & Service Creation
I said that affiliate marketing was the second best way to make money with a blog. Creating your own products and services has to be the best way. Literally, you can invest a little bit of time (very little money… if any) and sell your work for however much you want. Not only that, if set up properly, you will continue to get paid for work done once. This is a very important section. Read it all.
- How to Create and Publish Your Own Ebook With a $0 Budget – skelliewag.com
- eBooks the Smart Way, by Pat Flynn – smartpassiveincome.com (awesome free guide)
- 6-Figure Blogger Blueprint – davidrisley.com (another awesome free guide)
- How to Publish an Ebook Series – smartpassiveincome.com
Digital Product Related Services
E-Junkie – E-Junkie is an affiliate network with features galore. Use E-Junkie to sell your digital products or even give them away for free. Delivery is automated and instant. Even set up your own affiliate programs for your products and earn money through others’ efforts.
Building a Brand with your Business
The biggest mistake that most bloggers make (myself included) is that they don’t build a brand. They create a blog and that’s it. You can’t find them anywhere else doing anything else. A successful blog should be nothing more than a foot in the door. You should be able to sell water to a whale, too. Only your brand can create that kind of trust. Not just a blog.
- 10 Ways to Brand Your Blog or Website Efficiently – dailyblogtips.com
- How Do You Build a Brand? – entrepreneurs-journey.com
- 9 Simple Tips for Personal Branding – davidrisley.com
- Discover Your Brand Before You Blog – dailyblogtips.com
- 5 Ways to Build an Epic Blogger Brand – bloggusion.com
- Build Your Brand, Build Your Business – Entrepreneur
- Why Your Brand Is Everything – problogger.net
My Top 10 Bloggers to Follow
By no means are they the only bloggers in the blogosphere worth following. However, they’ll definitely help you turn your blog into a thriving business. Subscribe to their email lists and download their free products if they have them. Those free products, believe it or not, have tons of vital information in them.
Daily, I read…
There are many more outstanding blogs out there for you to find. Dive head first into the blogosphere and learn where you belong among bloggers.